27 April 2010

ru paul is so wise

drag race announced their queen and (certain circles of) the internet is atwitter. if you have any good sense you have been following the show, and you will love this behind the scenes report from the the reunion show. included is the following insight from rupaul himself:

He elaborated on a point from our interview regarding his tendency to get the side-eye from celebrities while he’s dressed as a woman: “What it means for them to accept me fully would be rebuilding their identity. To accept my existence as something real and viable would mean the foundation they’ve built their house on is a hoax. It’s faulty. More than the gay thing, it’s a drag thing. People don’t accept drag queens because drag queens are saying, ‘Your identity is a hoax because it can be manufactured. It’s not really real.’ And the ego knows it, and the ego fights it. I can’t tell you how many famous people I’ve admired who are smart, evolved, but when they get around me or drag, you can see them backing up. It’s the ego saying, ‘Don’t go over there. Don’t trust that.’ Other people’s ego won’t allow my charm or my intelligence to override the fact that I am an identity buster. And by accepting me, I would be busting their identity.”

No comments:

 
Pin It