18 September 2014

a query as old as time.

i was surprisingly touched and fascinated by this nymag investigation into what drives male doctors into the field of gynecology. for example, this one was not the most serious, but an adorable mindset:
"I worried I’d have no patients."
I was nervous about being a young, male gynecologist. Frankly, I worried I’d have no patients. But I’ve learned that some women still prefer male doctors, and it’s not for the reasons you might think. They say men are more sensitive on average, more responsive to their concerns. I’ve heard that men are better at pelvic exams because we’re so terrified of causing discomfort that we’re obsessively gentle. Male doctors are less dismissive of a woman’s problems because everything sounds so terrifying and horrifying to us since we don’t go through it. Like, tell us your period is heavy and we feel awful about it!

No comments:

 
Pin It